Monday, December 15, 2008

The Loss of a Great Artist



JAVA CAFE & GALLERY NEWSLETTER

Locations

SVAY KEN
1933 – 2008

Master artist, Svay Ken passed away on December 11, 2008.  It's a great loss for the Cambodian art community, as the grandfather of New Cambodian Art.  He was an inspiration to all the artists, in his desire to preserve and document the Cambodian culture he opened a path for artists to explore their own personal vision.

"I paint in order to preserve the traditions of former generations, in particular those of my grandfather. My grandfather, Hol Touch, had four sons who were trained as traditional painters but later painted in a 'modern' realistic style as well. In 1993, after these relatives had all died, there were no grandchildren who knew how to make art and could continue their work. Although I was already sixty years old at the time, still I had the idea that I wanted to make paintings. I had always sketched things for fun and I had watched the activities of my painter relatives. I liked to listen to them when they told stories about famous painters that came, for example, from Japan, France, America. So I began to make real paintings in 1993."

"My paintings depict national traditions and habits that are in decline. I don't want people to forget how life was. My paintings are like a camera of my life of sixty years. I make paintings so that future generations can ponder the question, 'How was life then and how is life now?'"

Svay Ken faithfully attended all the Java exhibitions until he was unable to climb the stairs.  He was an exceptional artist and a friend.  I will miss him greatly.  (Dana)

 

Java Café & Gallery

56 E1 Sihanouk Blvd
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Tel: 023 987 420
HP: 012 833 512
Open everyday: 7am - 10pm

Java Express

56 E1 Sihanouk Blvd
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
HP: 092 289 126
Open Mon - Sat: 7am - 3pm

Java TeaRoom

(At Monument Books)
111 Norodom Blvd
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
HP: 092 451 462
Open everyday 8am - 8pm

www.javaarts.org
info@javaarts.org

-------------------------
If you do not want to receive any more newsletters visit this link
To update your preferences and to unsubscribe visit this link
56 E1 Sihanouk Blvd - Phnom Penh, Cambodia - www.javaarts.org


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.